A simple way that I am reducing toxins in my house to help prevent endocrine disruption to our whole family is making my own laundry powder. Our youngest son suffered from severe eczema and multiple anaphylaxis to numerous substances. Through the treatments that I provide and changing some things in our lifestyle Lenny has significant reduction in his eczema and is anaphylactic to less substances. His hay fever, sensitivities and intolerances have been significantly reduced.
The harmful toxins that are in standard laundry powders are so harmful to the skin and are absorbed so readily through the skin. We are always in contact with clothing that has been washed by us. In bed at night we are lying in our sheets and through the day we are wearing our clothes that have been washed by these harmful substances.
It is so quick and easy to make your own laundry powder. I ordered everything online from nourished life. You can also obtain these products from health food shops, IGA supermarkets and wholesale suppliers in Ballarat.
- 2 Bars of Dr Bronners soap
- 200 grams Epsom salts
- 500 grams Bi-carb soda
- 500 grams washing soda
- Essential oils (optional)
Tips with oils as you can just add them to your load when you do it:
- Eucalyptus- stain removal and great when recent illness in your house and getting the smell of vomit out of towels and sheets
- Tea Tree oil- has antibacterial properties so great for sports clothes (nearly all the clothes in my house) and when illness in the house
- Lemon oil- good for grease type stains
- Lavender – great for towels and sheets helps with relaxation and sleep
- Chop Dr Bronner’s soap into small chunks with knife then put in blender or Thermomix and whizz
- Add all other ingredients and mix together
- Store in glass container in laundry and use about 1 tablespoon per load.
- Suitable for all types of washing machines and yes it actually washes the clothes!!!!
This laundry powder was originally obtained from Belinda Forsyth.
Check out her websites it has some excellent blog posts and other great ways to reduce toxins in your home.
Trust me it is quick and easy to do and will be helping the health of you and your family.